Wednesday 22 June 2011

Exam

Alright, it has been quite some time since I have last posted here.  I apologise to any avid readers.  First of all, since there was a gap between my last paper and my next paper, I decided to slack off and this means that I did not do a single thing during this interval, literary.  So, my next paper is in three days time which is considered short as I have another function on tomorrow.  Speaking of exam, I guess I will go with that topic in this post.

The word, exam, abbreviation of the word "examination" brings much worries and anxieties to both students and teachers.  For the students, it means days of grinding and sleepless nights just to run through all that have been taught in class.  For teachers, heck, it means tonnes of paper to mark.  If you are a math teacher, then the load will be lighter as there is only one correct answer but if you are a language teacher, God Bless You.  Most of the time, we see people failing their exams or don't know what in the world should they do for the exam and trust me, this is a common scenario no matter which part of the world you are in.

So, how do you cope with exams stress and ensure that you don't fail that freaking paper and later get reprimanded by the teachers and most likely, your parents.  The most important thing of course is preparation.  When I talk about preparation, I don't mean half-assed preparation such as daydreaming there with a book open in front of you for 1 hour and later convince yourself that you have studied, that's bullshit.  Go to the library or find a place where you know you can study, be it the classroom or the living room.  It doesn't need to be for a few hours or so as I believe that you need to be a monster to be able to study 5 or 6 hours consecutively.  Manage your time, spend at least 1 or 2 hours a day revising the course materials so that you will get the hang of it before entering the exam hall.  Yes, most students hate studying as it is a chore but persist, don't give in to the "I am gonna fail anyway no matter how hard I try" thinking.  At first, you may not see the results but when you persevere and work diligently, you will be able to see improvements in the next paper.  Different people have different learning competence, so you need to know yours.  Are you the one who can read through everything and understand it immediately (if yes, you can probably start off at a later time than others, say 1 or 2 weeks before the exam) or are you the one who needs to read something repetitively to fully comprehend it (if yes, then brother, it's about time you get on with that studying.  1 month or 2 before the real deal should help)?



Secondly, get enough rest.  Eat healthy.  No point going to the examination room feeling like a load of shit.  Get plenty of rest so that your brain can work in its prime during the exam and nutritions ensure that you don't fall sick on that life-or-death day.  Scientific research has shown that eating fish can boost your learning capability (thanks to the omega3) and this should improve your learning time significantly.  Lastly, stay calm.  In the heap of nervous chit-chattering before the exam, you must maintain your composure.  I have been to countless exam halls and an honest advice, stay away from the girls cause they will go "Have you studied?" "I don't get this part." "I heard the past year paper was difficult" and the sort that will scare the shit out of you.  Just relax (provided you have done the necessary revision) and go sit the thing.  A wise woman once told me, "Do your best and leave the rest to fate/god/destiny/luck or whatever you want to call it."  

Everything will turn out for the better in the end.  Don't sweat it if you didn't get a good mark at the start of the term, just persist and voila, before you know it, you have become a better man/woman.  That's all for today, I apologise for not having any pics as blogger is having some godknowswhat issues at the moment with picture uploading.  So, to those who have exams soon or in the near future, all the best and knock that confounded thing dead! =)

"Success comes to he who strives"

No comments:

Post a Comment