Tuesday 26 July 2011

Two Ends to a Fun Duel

How long has it been since I have last felt that YuGiOh! was fun, earnestly fun.  I realised it when I played against my friend today who uses a pyro deck.  At first I was all serious and used my Dark World deck to totally pummel his pyro deck, with 2 graphas dealing the final blow.  When we moved to the 2nd round, he played respect play whereby both players are required to show their hands while playing.

I was shocked as it has been millenia since I last saw that card hitting the field.  Last time when I played in my secondary school, I played eye of truth to look at my opponent's hand.  Hence, I played with my entire hand revealed.

After some time, I discovered that it was actually quite funny since no matter what cards I set, he knew what card I would be playing.  So, I thought to myself, "Why bother".  Henceforth, I said, "I set a card face-up" while revealing what card I had in play.

We played a total of 2 matches and half of the time we were just laughing away.  There was a round where he saw my card destruction and shattered pot and said, "I know what you are up to.  I will set all my cards and summon 1 monster."  I synchroed black rose next turn wiping out his entire field.  He blurted, "Should have let you card destruct me."  It was so hilarious!!

As I am writing this post, I can't help but think that Konami has indeed given YuGiOh a more competitive edge but has taken the fun out of the game.  Nowadays, children aside, most older players just play to end the game as fast as possible with OTK and FTK.  They don't just sit there and duel idly like how we used to.  A card game is where players can get together, sit down and have some laughs while playing.  Hate to admit it but Magic The Gathering fulfiled that purpose better than YuGiOh.  Once upon a time, YuGiOh was actually like that but now, no more.  It has become yet another mundane card competition (not game anymore).

With the release of Photon Shockwave that re-introduced rescue rabbit and various other altered versions of the original banned cards, I can see that Konami is trying to restore the pleasure in YuGiOh.  For example, one can put in Tribe Electrocuting Virus in a "Rojak" deck and later defeat his opponent by banishing the type he has in his hands.  That would be so funny as you see single themed deck crumbling before it.

Well, that's all for my post today.  Remember, dueling competitively is good but it is the joy and pleasure while doing so that remains the essence of the card game.  Until next time, see ya~

No comments:

Post a Comment