Saturday 15 October 2011

Best Anime of The Season

I am now currently watching an anime called Fate/Zero and I daresay it is by far the best anime of the season!  It has a superb plot development, nothing too exaggerated, no single party too overpowered and all of the characters are given a breathe of new life and equal screening time (here's to hoping that this will last).  The anime is absolutely wonderful and I have never felt so excited over an anime before.  23 minutes felt like 3 minutes only and my goodness, this insatiable craving for anime has returned once again to my body.  This feeling far supersedes the desire I have for YGO and movies.  Well, without any more delay, let me present to you Fate/Zero, in the flesh:


As you can see from the above picture (apologies for it being so puny), the artwork is simply fantastic and the details given to each character is just so intricate that you would hardly recognise the flaws in the story, which is none!  And the best part is....The characters ACTUALLY blink!!  You heard me, it is as though the characters are living humans themselves and blink their eyes every now and then.  You can't imagine how great this is for me.  Not to say that I am bragging but I have very high expectations for animes and every now and again, I was gravely disappointed by what they had to show but not this one; this one is just perfect!  Alright, enough of the self-appraisal.  Now, onto the story and why it is just that nice.

The story demystifies the Holy Grail war (the one that you read in the bible) and in order to acquire this Holy Grail, 7 Masters are pitch against each other and they have a battle royale to choose the rightful owner of the grail.  Now, these Masters are not fighting alone, the Holy Grail grants them each a Servant or in more common terms, a fighter that will fight the other Master's Servants in order to defeat the opponent until one last person is standing.  Now, the sad thing is, this was set before the Fate/Stay Night anime and if you haven't watched that, you should go and watch it albeit it has no connection or whatsoever with this one.  The eight Servants are divided into their own respective classes, which are Sabre, Lancer, Archer, Caster, Berserker, Rider and Assassin.  I doubt I will need to explain these classes one by one since I believe you can infer the abilities of each class just by reading them.

Now, the reason why I say this anime is wonderful is because it is not some gibberish that was thought up on the spot but story that has a real reference to the story it is telling.  For example, the Saber class, Arthuria Pendragon is actually based off the famour hero, Arthur Pendragon (5th/6th King of England) and the Archer class, Gilgamesh, is based off the legendary hero Gilgamesh from the Mesopotamian era.  The characters all possess certain characteristics that coincide with the heroes they are representing.  The plot is still in its developing stage but by golly, it has already completely taken over my soul and I can't wait to watch the next episode.


Lastly, the music.  What is a good anime without its music?  There are some animes that have great artwork, great plot but the music destroys it.  However, this is highly subjective and what works for me may not work for you as the adage goes: "One man's meat is another man's poison."  In my opinion, the music used in this anime is simply superb!  The music could completely convey the atmosphere at that particular part of time to the viewer and before you know it, your heart rate has increased and you are eagerly anticipating the next course of event.  The denouement used is also wonderful.  It does not tell you what will happen next directly but rather, it lets you cogitate on what might unfold in the next episode.

Ever since Spice and Wolf, I have not been so riled up anymore.  I will be doing a full review of this anime once it finishes, which is sometime next year if everything goes well and I will make sure to include every last minor detail into the review.  So, until next time, take care~

2 comments:

  1. Well youve convinced me to check these out. i need a good anime to watch as I'm done watching kenishi the ultimate disciple. Thanks man :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome bro but as of late, it only has 3 episodes since it is still airing.

    ReplyDelete